Friday, January 30, 2009

Chicken Tortellini Soup

I came across this recipe for Chicken Ravioli Soup the other day and I knew it would be perfect for this week's menu (that is, once it cooled off again - is anyone else getting tired of this back and forth weather???).

I love chicken noodle soup, although I hardly ever make it (have I ever made it?). Tiny flecks of colored vegetables, buttery broth, and moist, tender chicken...could it get any better? Yes, just add ravioli!

At Whole Foods I found Rising Moon Tortellini on sale so I decided to swap it out for the ravioli. I used canned broth, although making your own would be extra delicious.


Chicken Tortellini Soup
adapted from CulinaryCory.com and CooksIllustrated.com

Makes 8 1-cup servings

1 lb chicken breasts (about 2)
Salt and pepper
1 cup diced carrot (about 2)
1 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
1 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
1 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon oil (olive, canola)
1 tablespoon butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 cups water
8 oz cheese tortellini

Preheat oven to 425°F. Pat chicken dry, season with salt and pepper, and bake on a baking sheet for 25 - 30 minutes. Cool and shred.

Over medium-high heat, melt butter and oil. Once the butter is melted, add the carrot, celery, red bell pepper, and onion. Cook the vegetables, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for an additional 2 minutes.

Add the cooked chicken (once cooled and shredded), chicken broth, and water to the pot; bring to a simmer and cook until veggies are tender, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Carefully add the tortellini. Simmer for 5 – 8 minutes, or until the tortellini is cooked through.

Per serving - 208 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated), 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein (exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 protein, 1 fat)

Notes - My chicken wasn't cool enough to add when I added the broth and water, so I just added it later on; any kind of filled pasta would be great and if there would have been a whole wheat option I would have bought it

No comments:

Post a Comment