Monday, December 22, 2008

Crab and Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms

I know I've said it before, but I love mushrooms...I mean, I can't get enough. Growing up I had them sauteed on top of steak, grilled on kabobs, baked in brown rice casserole (my all time fave), and stewed with chicken.

These days I still cook all of these things my mom did, but I've added new recipes to my repertoire such as roasted mushroom soup and these incredible stuffed mushrooms. You should give them a try!

Crab and Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms
adapted from foodnetwork.com

24 medium mushrooms, stems removed and finely chopped (chop the stems...not the caps)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 shallot, very finely chopped (about ¼ cup...you could use another kind of onion too)
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and black pepper

¼ cup dry bread crumbs (I made my own using whole wheat bread)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, and/or chives (I used parsley...adds color but not much flavor)
½ cup lump crab meat, picked through to remove any shell
½ cup grated Parmesan, divided
1 egg, lightly beaten

In a skillet, melt the butter over med-high heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the chopped mushroom stems, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, using a small spoon (I used my ½ teaspoon to do this) scrape out some of the insides/gills of the mushrooms (be careful not to tear the mushrooms). Arrange the caps, gill side up, in a single layer on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet. Spray mushrooms with cooking spray* and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.

In a bowl thoroughly combine the sauteed mushrooms, bread crumbs, herbs, crab meat, half of the cheese, and egg. Divide the stuffing mixture among the mushroom caps, mounding it slightly. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese. At this point the mushrooms can be covered with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerated until ready to cook.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake in the middle of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until heated through.

* I don't buy PAM or other cooking spray from the store very often...it's such a waste (throwing away the empty cans) and expensive! I bought my own oil spray bottle, fill it myself with the kind of olive oil I like, and refill it when it runs out...and guess what the only ingredient is? Olive oil!

Per serving (2 medium mushrooms) - 61 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated), 4 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 5 g protein (exchanges: 1 protein, ½ fat)

Notes - I brought these to both of my parties last weekend, so I made a double batch of the sauteed mushroom stems and saved half for the second party...cook once, serve twice!; the original recipe suggests other meats (prosciutto or crumbled cooked bacon) and cheeses (Asiago or crumbled Feta)...the bacon and prosciutto will add more fat and calories though; if you are serving these as hors' dourves, buy smaller 1-bite mushrooms - if they will be served on a plate (with a knife and fork) go for the bigger "stuffers"

4 comments:

  1. Blair,
    I love your blog. You helped me so much when you were my nutritionist at LifeTime and you continue to guide me with your blog. I quote you to my husband and son so you are helping them too. Please always continue to do this.

    I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy 2009.
    Linda Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda...Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. blair,
    what about a low cal pizza using fat free tortillas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure Mitch...umm I mean "dealmaker"...but the cals from your pizza don't come from the crust...its all the olive oil!

    ReplyDelete