Monday, December 29, 2008

Overnight Spiced Cranberry Oatmeal

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Atlanta...I'm here to cheer on the Tigers to victory! We left Covington this morning at 7 am (my dad likes to get on the road early...I'm not opposed as long as it helps the trip go smoothly...he gets a little grumpy when we travel!). Once we got to the hotel (the Ritz in downtown Atlanta) I started checking my email and came across this recipe for oatmeal that can be made in the slow cooker...love that idea!

So I haven't tried it yet*, but I will as soon as I get home...I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone tries it before me, leave a comment and let me know what you think. I've posted a similar recipe before, but haven't tried it either.

The recipe comes from Coconut & Lime, one of the first blogs that I started reading and still read regularly today. It suggests that the recipe makes 6 servings (3 cups dried oats = 6 cups cooked), but I think because of the fruit you could get 7 servings and cut back a little on the serving size.

Overnight Spiced Cranberry Oatmeal
from coconutlime.blogspot.com

makes 7 servings (about 1 cup each)

4 ½ cups water
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups fresh cranberries
¾ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low overnight (6-8 hours). Stir and serve.

Per serving - 206 calories, 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 43 g carbohydrate, 17 g sugar, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein (exchanges: 2 ½ starches, ½ fruit)

Notes - I left the sugar alone even though it is a lot (¾ cup = 12 tablespoons)...as Rachel, the blogger, says, cranberries are very tart so the extra sugar is needed; changes/additions I plan on when I make it: (1) substitute part of the water for milk to boost the protein content (read the comment section before doing this), (2) add some toasted walnuts or pecans for a healthy fat, and (3) cut back on the ginger...I'm not crazy about ginger

* Now that I've tried it, here's what I think:
  • I successfully replaced 1 cup of water with 1 cup of skim milk (no curdling)
  • I started it at 10 pm and ate it at 8:30 am...10 ½ hours...the sides where a little burnt and it was pretty mushy (I guess I'm used to oatmeal with a little more texture and a little less mush) - although I don't mind the consistency, next time I will try using steel cut oats...I'll probably have to modify the amount of oats and water
  • The flavors are really good! I used a 10 ounce bag of frozen cranberries and only ¼ tsp of ginger...I also added a pinch of cloves and omitted the allspice (I didn't have any)
  • I transferred the left over oatmeal to an air-tight container and refrigerated it for later in the week; each morning I microwave my serving and add some walnuts

Lagniappe...

Here is a new review of oatmeal and other hot cereals. My favorite instant oatmeal? In a pinch I use Quaker Simple Harvest Instant Multigrain Hot Cereal.

5 comments:

  1. I'd be weary of using milk instead of water, it doesn't hold up well with such a long cooking time. My impulse was the use milk as well but I think it would curdle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this!

    Blair can you post the recipe for your english muffins? I am hooked on them in the morning after having a couple of yours.

    Also is the fresh gound peanut butter you can grind yourself in whole foods healthier than a commercial brand like JIF?

    One more thing!....Is there a nut that you can grind other than a peanut that may be less calories (like a walnut or almond)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor...

    the english muffins are pretty time consuming...I'm not going to post them, but I'll send you the recipe

    yes, freshly ground or natural pb is better than JIF - there are no hydrogenated or added oils, only the oils naturally found in the nuts (and most don't have added sugar) - the natural kind can be found at any grocery and you can also grind your own in a food processor

    all nuts have about the same nutritional profile so they are all similar in cals...I love almond butter and cashew butter...its healthy fat though and fat is really filling - I eat nuts with my breakfast just about everyday...remember we talked about adding protein and fat to your meals so they aren't just carbs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blair,

    If we use 1 cup of cran rasins instead of the 2 cups of cranberries, would that be w lot worse for the nutritional value? I tried it and the taste is much better but was worried that it was now not as healthy.

    ReplyDelete