Friday, July 31, 2009

Grilled Salmon Steaks with Honey Mustard Sauce


I try to cook salmon at least once a month (and then eat it all week). Not only is it delicious, but it is also very healthful...all of those omega-3 fatty acids are important for good cardiovascular and brain function! I buy wild salmon (as opposed to farm raised) for both nutritional and environmental reasons:
  • Farmed salmon provide less usable omega-3 fats than wild salmon
  • Farmed salmon are given antibiotics and exposed to more concentrated pesticides than wild salmon
  • Farmed salmon are given a salmon-colored dye in their feed...without it their flesh would be a grey color!
  • Salmon farming has a negative impact on the health of wild salmon
Buy wild!


I made this recipe a while back. The pics aren't too great (I took them at night), but the fish was incredible. The honey mustard glaze was perfectly sweet and tangy, and then caramelized once it hit the grill. I swapped the asparagus for grilled zucchini (it's zucchini season!) and I also oven roasted some red potatoes...I used the leftover honey mustard as a dipping sauce
for the veggies.


I have 2 stove top grill pans, which I love and use all the time. The one I use the most is reversible...one side is a grill and the other a skillet. I bought it when I was in college at Wal-Mart for about $20. Its great for grilling chicken, veggies, fish, etc and then it reverses to a flat surface perfect for pancakes! The other one is All-Clad and has a panini press...I found it cheap at TJ Maxx. Grilling is a great cooking method because it doesn't require a lot of additional fat.

I hope you try this recipe. It's a quick and easy week-night meal (there are only 6 ingredients, including the salt and pepper). Enjoy!

Grilled Salmon Steaks with Honey Mustard Sauce
adapted from EverydayFood

Makes 4 servings

1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar (or any other vinegar)
Salt and pepper
4 salmon steaks (6 ounces each)
Oil or cooking spray for the grates

Make mustard sauce by combining the mustard, sugar, and vinegar. Divide sauce, reserving half for marinating and half for dipping. Set aside

Arrange salmon steaks on a plate and season with salt and pepper. With a brush or spoon, lightly coat both sides of the salmon with the mustard sauce. Cover with foil and allow to marinate for 15 to 30 minutes.

Heat grill to med-high and lightly oil grates. Grill salmon until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer salmon to serving plates and serve with reserved sauce (and some veggies!).

Per serving - 267 calories, 11 g fat (1.7 g saturated), 6 g carbohydrates, 34 g protein (exchanges: 2 fat, 5 protein; WW points: 6)

3 comments:

  1. I love salmon and this seems like a perfect compliment to the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night- it was so simple and delicious! My salmon came with the skin on it though and I wasn't sure what to do about it- I'm such a beginner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I leave the skin on while I"m grilling it...and then either take it off b/f serving or just leave it on...it will flake off easily when you eat it.

    ReplyDelete