Sunday, August 01, 2010

What I Eat (Day 1)

Where, oh where have I been?  Has it really been nearly 2 months since the last time I blogged?  Um, yes it has!

I promise I have a good excuse (or actually several)!  First of all it’s summer and I have been completely out of a routine.  The recital came and went, followed by 2 weeks R&R (which I definitely needed), apartment hunting, and packing.

At the end of June we had a family beach trip.  It rained just about every day we where there (needless to say, I didn’t get very tan and need a second trip asap).

P6291321

After the 4th of July, I got back to Baton Rouge and summer classes began at the studio.  I taught 2 weeks worth of kids cooking classes at Whole Foods and moved into a new apartment.  I’ve had Saintsation practice weekly (can’t wait to be back in the Dome!!), choreographed and taught 2 competition routines for a studio in Mississippi, and made a trip to Houston.

And now it is August and Fall classes start at Tari’s tomorrow.  I can’t wait to get back on a normal schedule!  And football season is so close!

As part of returning to a routine, I am going to try to blog EVERYDAY for a MONTH!  Mostly about what I eat each day…to clear up some confusion I’ve heard recently about how “perfect Blair eats”.  I get it all the time:  “you eat _______?” as someone asks me about a food that they perceive as unhealthy or off limits. 

Part of what I hate about being a dietitian is that people think I’m the food police and don’t like telling me what they eat because they think I will judge them.  My sister-in-law (Jess…also a dietitian) even does it!  But I don’t eat perfect…what is perfect anyway?!?

Sunday August 1st

  • pre-run snack: 1/2 a mango
  • 3 mile run
  • post-run breakfast: the rest of the mango, 1/2 of a Starbucks iced coffee with a splash of 1/2&1/2 and a little condensed milk (I love Vietnamese coffee)
  • lunch: from Maxwell’s…an entire West Coast sandwich (turkey, avocado, Monterey Jack cheese, tomato, lettuce, balsamic vinaigrette, on white French bread) and water
  • snack: the rest of the iced coffee with a few bites of Seeduction bread from Whole Foods
  • dinner: from Whole Foods…half of a broccoli cheese cake, half of a artichoke lemon fritter, and a salad (spinach, white beans, roasted cauliflower, quinoa, bell pepper, balsamic vinaigrette) and water
  • dessert: about 1 cup of mango buttermilk ice cream (yep, I made it myself)

Dad was in town this weekend and was staying with me.  So after a quick workout this morning we went and had lunch and then ran some errands.  The sandwich was great!  And I was HUNGRY (I guess that’s what happens when you don’t eat enough breakfast!).  Notice the white bread…example #1 of me not eating “perfect” all the time.  I buy whole wheat bread at the store, so that’s what I eat 99% of the time, but let’s face it…this sandwich would not have been the same if it was on anything but crusty white French bread!

photo (2)

I needed to do my grocery shopping for the week, so after church that’s where we headed.  I love the prepared food at Whole Foods.  Makes a last minute dinner so easy!  I picked the broccoli cake and artichoke fritter because I knew I would be sharing with dad (example #2…I usually don’t get fried things when I eat out, but I will eat them).  To lighten up the meal, I made a salad at the salad bar with lots of yummy things and then added a homemade vinaigrette once we got back to the apartment.

P8011518

Oh and the dessert?  Example #3…I eat dessert!  Not every night for sure (I try to do fruit on most nights).  If you have an ice cream maker, you should give it a try…2 cups buttermilk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup, vanilla, a pinch of salt, and whatever fruit you want (about 1 1/2 cups added at the end of churning).  Low-fat, but delish!  A great way to use up leftover buttermilk.  I think next time I’ll try cutting back a little on the sugar/syrup…it was a little sweet for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment