Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Soy Glazed Salmon

Salmon
Now that I live in an apartment I have access to a treadmill…I refuse to pay for a gym membership when I can run outside for free and do boot camp at the studio.  I’m cheap, what can I say?  But now, even on rainy days I can get a workout in.  And since it has been raining so much lately (and not to mention how HOT it has been), I’ve done more indoor workouts than usual.  Which has helped me catch up on my magazine reading. 
I can’t run and read, but when I take a break to walk I’ll flip through one of my many food magazines.  Last week it was the August issue of Eating Well.  One of the 5 ingredient recipes caught my eye.  For Five-spice Tilapia, the fish is seasoned with Chinese five-spice powder, cooked on the stove top, and then coated with a soy and brown sugar glaze.  The selling points for me were the ease of the recipe and the glaze. 
Salmon 4Salmon 3
But I wanted to try it with salmon…I haven’t eaten salmon in a while and needed to get my omega-3’s!  I also omitted the five-spice powder and just seasoned with salt and pepper (I didn’t feel like buying it for just this recipe).  I added freshly grated ginger to the glaze (I’ve mention it before, but I always have ginger in the freezer).
The recipe is for 4 servings…I only cooked 2 salmon fillets, but left the glaze amounts alone…the more glaze the better!  I served the fish with roasted broccoli that I tossed in sesame oil.  
    Salmon 2
Soy Glazed Salmon
adapted from Eating Well magazine
makes 2 servings
2 salmon fillets, 4 - 6 ounces each (preferably wild)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar 
fresh ginger, grated
1/2 tablespoon canola oil
3 scallions, thinly sliced
Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper.  Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger (to taste) in a small bowl.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook until the outer edges are opaque, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, turn the fish over, stir the soy mixture and pour into the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until the fish is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more. Add scallions and remove from the heat. Serve the fish drizzled with the pan sauce.
Per serving (based on 4 oz salmon) – 190 calories, 11 g fat (1.4 g saturated), 18 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein (exchanges: 3.5 protein, 2 fat; WW points: 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment